This full time position is responsible for maintenance of the city building as well as city parks and recreational areas, performing all manual tasks and maintenance duties, assigned by the Public Works Supervisor. Shall work under close supervision of the Public Works Supervisor/Crew Leader.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear, use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl and reach with hands and arms.
- May perform school guard crossing responsibilities.
- Inspect playground equipment for possible safety issues and needed repairs each month.
- The employee is sometimes required to stand, walk, sit and climb or balance.
- The employee must sometimes lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
The employee is frequently exposed to environmental conditions, which include, working near moving mechanical parts in outdoor weather conditions and near vibration.
- The employee is sometimes required to work near fumes or airborne particles.
- The employee infrequently may be required to work in high, precarious places and with risk of electrical shock.
- Prepares park and recreational areas for the safe use of the public by performing maintenance tasks including cleaning shelters, restrooms and related facilities, and performing minor building maintenance and repair tasks.
- Performs park grounds maintenance activities including trash removal, landscaping, occasional mowing, and litter control.
- Performs manual maintenance tasks using handheld equipment and tools such as string trimmers, pruning shears, shovels, rakes, etc.
- When directed, assists with traffic and crowd control at various park and recreation events.
- Greet park patrons to provide a positive first impression including guests that reserve shelter houses.
- Performs related duties as required.
OTHER JOB DUTIES
Work as a member of a crew in performing maintenance and construction tasks. Perform all duties utilizing safe working practices. Perform ground maintenance functions such as grass cutting, weed removaland landscaping. May operate heavy equipment, under direct supervision, used in maintenance functions. Assist with concrete removal and replacement. Assist with blacktop removal and replacement. Assist with maintenance of streets, roads, bridges, parks and related facilities. Assist with hauling materials, gravel, dirt, pipe and related supplies. Assist in performing maintenance and repair functions in the area of welding, carpentry and electrical maintenance. Perform seasonal work in park maintenance and ball field maintenance. Assist with set-up and cleanup for council meetings and special events. Assist with installation and maintenance of road signs. Remove trash and debris from streets and city property. Assist with maintaining equipment and vehicles for operation. Assist with duties, as necessary, in the Police and Administration department. Answer phone calls, take complaints/requests, report information to supervisor. Perform other related duties, as necessary and as assigned. Maintain on call availability twenty-four (24) hours per day. All other duties as assigned.
TRAINING & EXPERIENCE
Graduate of a standard high school or the equivalency, supplemented by work experience; or any combination of training which provides the desired knowledge, skills and abilities.
Must have or be able to obtain a valid driver’s license. Must be able to obtain related certifications/license, as required.