The Northern Kentucky Regional Ethics Authority (NKREA) was established in December 1994. The NKREA was created through an interlocal agreement and is governed by representatives from participating jurisdictions. The NKREA enforces city/county ethics ordinances, acts as an oversight board, appoints an Enforcement Committee to rule on potential violations, and reviews financial disclosure reporting compliance.
As of December 2016, sixteen cities and one county were members of the Regional Ethics Authority. Members pay $600 in the initial year, and $300 every year after for all costs, including financial disclosure collection, open records request response, and any advisory questions or ethical complaint hearings that could arise. The NKREA contracts with the Northern Kentucky Area Development District to provide staffing services and serve as a records depository.
Any city, county or special government entity is eligible to join the NKREA by becoming party to the interlocal agreement.
Services Offered within the Program
- Maintenance and collection of financial disclosure statements
- Open records request response
- Receipt of complaints alleging potential violations
- Issuance of opinions in response to inquiries
- Investigation of alleged violations
- NKADD staffing to ensure implementation of these responsibilities
For more information, please contact the Stephanie King at 859.283.1885.
Filing an Ethics Complaint
Below is the process for filing an ethics complaint:
- Complaints alleging any violation of the provisions of the applicable member’s ordinance shall be submitted to the Enforcement Committee’s designated administrative official, NKADD staff member Stephanie King.
- The Enforcement Committee will acknowledge receipt of the complaint and forward within 10 days to each public officer or employee of the city/county who is the subject of the complaint.
- Within 30 days the Enforcement Committee will conduct a preliminary inquiry and offer the opportunity for the subject of each complaint to respond to the allegations in writing.
- The Committee will make a determination based on its preliminary inquiry whether it alleges a minimal factual basis to constitute a violation of the applicable member’s ordinance. If so, a hearing will be initiated to determine the violation.
Financial Disclosure Forms (pdfs)
Financial Disclosure Forms for each of the jurisdictions served by the NKREA or those communities who contract with the NKADD to have their forms collected can be found below. Forms must be signed in order to be accepted. Please fax forms to 859.283.8178, ATTN: NKREA or send a scanned copy via email to Stephanie King.
NKREA Enforcement Committee
Bellevue, Campbell County Cable Board, Covington, Crescent Springs, Elsmere, Erlanger, Florence, Fort Wright, Gratz, Independence, Ludlow, Melbourne, Monterey, Owen County, Park Hills, Pendleton, Southgate, Taylor Mill, Union, Walton, Williamstown, Woodlawn